Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Response, Reading 2

The internet is something that takes a pretty good amount of thought to explain. I’m not sure if it was always like this, it seems the more advanced it becomes; the harder it is to define. I honestly don’t even remember the first time I used the internet. I think for me I started using the computer and then I was introduced to the internet as part of the computer. So, now unless I stop and think about it I don’t even see them as two separate things. Take for example this blog, I am writing it in Microsoft word and then I am going to go to the internet, which I am already connected to, then copy and paste it to the blog webpage. It is that easy. A couple of clicks and then I’m done and millions of people could read what I have to say. What I am trying to say is that I believe not only is the internet taken for granted by most, not even really thought about for what it really is. There is so much power and information right at our figure tips.
The idea of convergence mentioned in the Adams article. This I think is one of the most important parts of the internet. Your computer is turned in to a radio, a newspaper, a television, a telephone, and even other mediums. The internet has become the ultimate medium, and thanks to something called hypertext we are now in the “driver’s seat”. We get to direct wherever we want to go next on the internet. Before, if we were reading a book and it mentioned another book we wanted to glance at or read for ourselves, we would have to stop reading the one we had in our hand and try to find the other text for ourselves. Now we can skip around however we want and in the matter of seconds be right back where we left off. I believe in a way this sets us free.

No comments: